Saturday, November 17, 2012

Fibro Friends

Fibro Friends -- Advocacy, Education & Support for those with Fibromyalgia by those with Fibromyalgia.
I’ve had Fibro since I was 10, but I wasn’t diagnosed until 2007.  Up until my diagnosis, I heard it all – You’re lazy.  You’re female; you’re going to hurt; get used to it.  There’s nothing wrong with you.  It’s all in your head.  Is it your time of the month?  I’m sure those of you with Fibro have heard those and more.

But then it finally happened.  This thing that had plagued me all of these years, this beast, it had a name.  If it had a name, then it could be fought. 
I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist while I was hospitalized with something else.  After my discharge, I saw the doctor in his office.  For a change, a doctor’s visit actually excited me.  We were finally going to tackle my mystery illness! 

The doctor came in, asked about my pain levels, gave me a prescription for Lyrica and turned to walk out the door.  Wait!  What else do I do?  “Find someone to talk to,” he tossed over his shoulder as he left.
I got on the Internet immediately and looked for a support group, but I couldn’t find an active one anywhere in the state of Tennessee.  So I put an ad in the paper and started reading and researching anything and everything I could about Fibro.  In September 2007, it was me and a newspaper ad.  In October, I had FibroFriends.  I didn’t intend to start a formal support group or anything like that.  I just did what that doctor told me to do.  I found someone to talk to.  Now, we have an online membership base of over 275, and we grow daily.  Five years ago, I thought I was alone.  Now, I know I’m not.

The fact that I’m not alone is what has encouraged me to take Fibro Friends to the next level.  It’s time to advocate and educate, in addition to support, those Tennesseans with Fibro.   We also need to educate medical professionals, whom we shouldn’t have to, and government officials.  One of the ways I intend to do my part of this is to make my presence known, offer information and assistance, just plain old speak up.    This blog is one way to do that. 
Another way to speak up is to go to medical offices and offer packets of information made up and ready to go for anyone just diagnosed with Fibro.  That way they’ll know they aren’t alone, which is how I felt.  At the time I was diagnosed, I’d spent over 30 years dealing with my “mystery illness” by myself.  When I found out the monster’s name, I suddenly felt like I was no longer alone, only to feel even more so because I couldn’t “find someone to talk to,” as I’d been advised to do.  I have Fibro Friends and others will too. 

The fog is upon me.  It’s time to close this before I garble it up even further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment